Sunday, May 17, 2015

Embroidery

Because I don't have an embroidery machine (yet), I tried my hand at freehand embroidery on a regular sewing machine. This was my first try and as you can see, I need a lot more practice! Or maybe my clumsiness justifies a real embroidery machine? Anyway, although it took me a long time, it is fun to do and the result is, well, let's say unique.



At first, I used the Silhouette to cut out the parts of a simple flower. This design is simple enough to cut it out just using your scissors, but I wanted to see how this works so I kept it simple. One by one I appliquéd the pieces using a satin stitch.
Then I put wash-away embroidery stabilizer on the cutting mat and had the Silhouette sketch the flower using the sketch pen. I put the stabilizer on the fabric, put stabilizer under the fabric too, and I stitched the lines. I lowered the feed dogs to do this and moved the fabric around as I stitched.


As I said, I need more practice but I liked how it turned out.

Patterns: "Parrot" tunic and "Spring" knee pants, both Ottobre.
Fabric: a linen/rayon blend from the local fabric shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment