Saturday, October 25, 2014

Louisa

Isn't that a pretty name, Louisa? In this case, I am not going to talk about a person, but about a dress. The Louisa Dress from Compagnie-M.
It is a pattern with a couple of options, I went for piping and back inserts. It was a little bit technical but that is OK after so many T-shirts on the serger. I used a corduroy from my stash and  store bought piping.
First fitting, unhemmed:


The piping was not that easy


As you can see, the piping goes front to back without seam, but there is a side seam in the dress. So first you do the bottom part of the side seam, then add the piping and then finish the top part of the side seam. 


Do you see that button? It is more or less the exact same button as the one printed on the fabric! Sometimes you get lucky....


The finished dress, front and back. I used the same fabric for the shell and the back panel, but kept the piping. Action pictures:



Don't mind the leggings, they don't match but she would not take them of.


"Saskia, show me the pocket!"



"There is a pocket?"


"Oh yeah, look!"

Overall, I am happy with the pattern, there will be more Louisa dresses. In my opinion you will need some experience, the instructions alone are not enough. For example, it is unclear how the sleeves are  lined, if at all. I just made two dresses, one shell, one lining, and stitched them together, as I have always done, but maybe there is another way. For my skinny 2 year old I made size 1 year (80) without alterations. I think the dress fits well, although the shoulders and neckline are a bit wide. I will try to adjust that the next time.

All in all, I liked the result enough to try another Compagnie-M pattern: the Mara blouse.




More details later....

No comments:

Post a Comment