Saturday, January 11, 2014

Sewing clothes saves you money?

Honestly? Mostly not. It depends on what you want to achieve, but designer fabric, one of a kind embellishments, organic cotton or non-toxic dyes have a price tag. Not to mention the machines (ahum.... plural) you are sewing with.
But you save a lot by recycling or re-purposing. This bathrobe for example: at the end of last summer I picked up a beach towel for $ 7, as of today it will keep Thomas warm and dry after swim lesson.
This was a quick project, cut the towel into pieces, sew them back together, ad bias binding, done.



A few notes:
This beach towel was very thick, as a result the robe is a bit on the small side. Same size pattern, thicker fabric results in a smaller garment. This has happened to me before, I really should know better. I will be happy of Thomas can wear it until spring. However, this giant beach towel was just enough, I did not have an inch of fabric left. Even if I had wanted to, I could not have cut more generously. So next time I will need two (or it will be a summer version with short sleeves).


















No comments:

Post a Comment